“You are young at 60 if your spine is flexible; you are old at 30 if your spine is inflexible.” JOSEPH PILATES
Created by Joseph Pilates over a 100 years ago and originally called “Contrology,” Pilates was created during World War I to assist injured and bedridden soldiers in their rehabilitation. Joseph began taking springs from the hospital beds and rigging them to create resistance, which strengthened his patients as they recovered from their injuries. He designed the Reformer and Cadillac, which are still used in practice today.
PILATES FOR THE REST OF US, PILATES AT ANY AGE!!
I always worked out before becoming a Pilates Instructor and Personal Trainer and as a client, I really didn’t know how to move my body to avoid injuries.
I would take classes and realized they were not tailored to my individual needs and it would be hard to keep up with them.
I worried about how would I ever be able to sustain working out when the injuries would come and go so frequently.
Then I became a Pilates Instructor and almost like magic, my body started feeling younger, stronger and I became more confident.
In fact, Pilates turned to turn back the clock on my aches and pains.
My flare-ups were far and few between. I moved by body freely and forgot I ever had injuries.
The best part is that as the years went by (I have been teaching Pilates for 15 years), I found that I could keep doing things, not less.
That’s because Pilates a tried and true method that has been around for almost 100 years, works from the inside out. It’s designed to build flexibility and strength at the same time. The ultimate multi-tasking workout. (And to be honest, it makes you feel elegant and lean too, in only two workouts per week!)
Not only did I look and feel younger from regular Pilates, my body felt and moved better than it did when I was younger.
Pilates has been studied to show how it really does alter the course of aging.
It’s not uncommon for some of my clients, when they first come to me, to be fearful that it will be too much of a challenging workout. They say they worry they won’t be able to keep up with it as they age.
Pilates is really for everybody! I encourage them to do what they can and be amazed at their progress as they consistently devote themselves to the practice. I encourage them to move a little each day, doing something they love, in addition to doing Pilates, and their attitude changes pretty quickly.
My passion is to show you how midlife doesn’t have to be full of aches and pains and fears about hurting yourself or becoming more and more inactive.
Bring me your challenges and I will show you how to restore your energy, rejuvenate your body, and heal those age-related injuries.
What I love about Pilates is it’s great for people at any age!
To learn more about my background and training, please visit my About page
READY TO TRY PILATES? Email me today to set up your first appointment. I offer private and group classes in the Bayville, New York area.
What will Pilates do for YOU?
- Dramatically transform the way your body looks, feels and performs
- Builds strength while working flexibility to create an incredibly toned, svelte body.
Joseph Pilates was emphatic about a mind and body approach to movement. He taught quality over quantity and said 5 repetitions were enough. You can increase repetitions as precision of movement improved.
Can YOU do Pilates?
- This innovative system of mind-body exercises uses the mat work or a spring-based apparatus that will either assist or resist through ranges of motion really strengthening where you are weak.
- It doesn’t matter your age, size or condition, you can do Pilates.
- Using precise movements, breathing techniques and concentration, Pilates delivers a total body workout while it centers your mind.
- Joseph Pilates taught his method using seven principles: Concentration, Control, Centering, Flow or efficiency of movement, Precision, and Breathing.
How has Pilates affected MY life?
- My education and dedication and movement in Pilates has changed the course of how I move my body and how I teach a client who comes to work with me.
- Joseph Pilates told people who came to his studio “to work around the issue.” This is incredibly powerful because usually a person is told not to do anything. Of course, it depends on what the situation is, but being able to work around it leaves the person feeling positive about healing.
“I love that should my client come to me with an injury or back pain for example, we can still efficiently do Pilates to help them live theirs better.” -Lorna S.
Pilates is such efficient, functional movement of the body and it has taught me how to move my body safely in any way I desire. I realized after years of teaching that when you hold onto stress in your body, it is affecting your mind and vice versa. When you free up your body, you will free up your mind. Incredible!
THE ULTIMATES BENEFITS FROM DOING PILATES:
- Balanced, symmetry of muscles
- Corrects muscle imbalances
- Prevents injury
- Improved posture
- Improved flexibility
- Core strength
- Improved physical endurance
- Relieves back, neck and shoulder pain
- Reduces stress and fatigue
- Improved coordination and balance
- Spinal and pelvic alignment and stability
CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A PILATES SESSION NOW!